Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Ideas for Practicing Pronouns “I/You” in Daily Routines and Play

Here are some strategies and activities to try at home to help your child practice the "I" and "you" pronouns.

Strategies:

  • Model the language that you want your child to use; speak from his/her perspective. 
  • Use a pointing gesture.  At first, take your child’s hand and have him/her point to himself/herself while you say “I.” Make his/her hand point to you while saying, “You.”
  • Fade out the models/cues over time.  For instance, have your child independently point to himself/herself while saying “I” and independently point to you while saying, “You.” Later fade out the pointing cue altogether.
Activities to try at home:

1.)    Have a picnic/teaparty with pretend food. Set up bowls in front of you and your child. Take a single food out of the bin and ask, “Who wants ______?” For example “Who wants a banana?” Your child says either “I do,” or “You do.” Model what your child should say and use gestures.  For instance, take your child’s hand and have him/her point to himself/herself while you say “I do.”  Take his/her hand and have him/her point to you while you say, “You do.”

2.)    While reading a book, pause each time before you turn a page. Ask, “Who will turn the page?” Your child responds either “I will,” or “You will.” Give him/her a choice between the two options.  For example, ask him/her “I will or you will?” Hold your child’s hand and point to him/her while saying, “I” and make him/her point to you while saying, “You.”

3.)    When making a puzzle, take out all of the pieces and put them in a container.  Your child decides who gets to pick out a piece.  Ask your child, “Who picks a piece?”  Your child responds, “I pick” or “You pick.” Again, model the responses and use gestures.

4.)    Share a snack, such as crackers, from the same container.  Ask your child, “Who wants a cracker?” Have your child respond either “I want one” or “You want one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment